Called to Be Holy
In 2 Corinthians 6:16–18, Paul reminds believers of some of God’s most encouraging promises. God says, “I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.” He then calls His people to separate themselves from what is unclean and promises, “I will receive you.” Finally, God declares, “I will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters” (KJV).
These promises help us understand what holiness really is. Holiness is not simply following a long list of rules or trying to make ourselves good enough for God. At its heart, holiness is about belonging to God. He desires to live with us, walk with us, and have a close relationship with us.
Because we belong to Him, our lives should reflect that relationship. Paul says, “Come out from among them, and be ye separate... and touch not the unclean thing” (2 Cor. 6:17). Separation from sin is not punishment; it is an invitation to something better. God calls us away from things that damage our relationship with Him because He wants us to experience the joy and freedom of living close to Him.
Notice the order: God promises, “I will receive you,” and then calls us to holiness. We don't become holy so that God will love us. We pursue holiness because God already loves us and has invited us into His family. His grace changes our desires, our choices, our relationships, and eventually our entire way of life.
Today, ask yourself: Does my life show that I belong to God? Are there things I am holding onto that interfere with my relationship with Him? God does not merely ask us to give something up. He offers Himself in its place. He promises to be our God, our Father, and to dwell with us.
Holiness, then, is not about becoming distant from God. It is about drawing closer to Him until His presence shapes everything we do.
Prayer:
Father, thank You for the wonderful promise that You desire to dwell with us and call us Your sons and daughters. Help us understand that holiness is not merely about outward behavior but about belonging completely to You. Give us the strength to turn away from anything that separates us from You. Cleanse our hearts, transform our desires, and help our lives reflect Your character. May we walk with You each day and live as people who truly belong to You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
