Giving in Light of the Cross
Giving Back to the One Who Gave It All
Read 2 Corinthians 8:1, 5 and 2 Corinthians 9:7, 9, 13, 15.
What is the central message of these passages? At first, they may seem to be simply about giving money. But Paul is talking about something much deeper. He is talking about a heart that has been changed by God's grace.
The believers in Macedonia were experiencing difficult circumstances, yet they were remarkably generous. Paul says that they first gave themselves to the Lord. That is the key. Their generosity did not begin with their wallets—it began with their hearts.
Paul then reminds the Corinthians that God loves a cheerful giver. Giving should not be forced, manipulated, or done merely because we feel guilty. Christian giving flows from gratitude. When we understand what God has done for us, generosity becomes a natural response.
Think about the Cross. Jesus gave everything for us. He gave His time, His strength, His dignity, and ultimately His life. He did not give because we deserved it. He gave because He loved us.
That raises an uncomfortable but important question: How generous am I?
It is easy to look at what we give and think, "I am doing enough." But the Cross challenges us to look beyond a particular dollar amount. It asks us to examine our priorities. How much of what God has placed in my hands am I willing to use for Him? How much do I keep for myself when I could bless someone else?
The issue is not whether we should provide for ourselves and our families. Scripture teaches us to be responsible. The issue is whether our possessions control us or whether we recognize that everything we have ultimately comes from God.
Paul quotes the principle that the person who gives generously will also experience God's blessing. This does not mean that God promises to make us wealthy because we give. Rather, God promises that generosity produces something valuable in us. It loosens our grip on possessions and teaches us to trust Him.
Our giving also becomes a testimony. Paul says that generosity causes people to glorify God. When we give to those in need, support God's work, help someone who is struggling, or contribute to the spread of the gospel, our giving can point beyond ourselves to the One who first gave to us.
And that brings us back to Jesus.
"Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift." — 2 Corinthians 9:15
God's greatest gift cannot be measured in dollars. It is Jesus Christ.
When we truly understand that gift, we may begin to see our possessions differently. Instead of asking, "How much of this do I have to give?" we begin asking, "Lord, how can I use what You have given me to bless someone else?"
So today, take an honest look at your generosity. Not to condemn yourself, but to allow God to examine your heart. Ask yourself: Am I giving only what is comfortable, or am I willing to sacrifice for others? Am I giving because I feel obligated, or because I am grateful? And in light of everything Christ gave for me, what could I give that would demonstrate my love for Him?
We can never repay Jesus for the Cross. We don't give in order to earn His love. We give because we have already received His love.
May our giving become an expression of gratitude, faith, worship, and love.
Prayer
Heavenly Father,
Thank You for the incredible gift of Jesus Christ. When I think about what Christ gave for me on the Cross, I realize that everything I have is small compared with what You have already given.
Forgive me when I become selfish or hold too tightly to the things You have placed in my hands. Give me a generous heart. Help me to give willingly and cheerfully, not because I am pressured, but because I am grateful.
Show me where I can do more. Help me recognize opportunities to bless others, support Your work, and share what You have given me. Teach me to trust You rather than my possessions.
May my generosity point others toward You and bring glory to Your name.
In Jesus' name, Amen.
